Archive 2017-111: Best Practices: Report Writing
**Webinar 111: Live Broadcast Date: August 16, 2017 **
VPS StraightTalk Webinar Series: Business Valuation Methods – Report Writing with Jim Hitchner, CPA/ABV/CFF, ASA
Learn the Best Practices of the Business Valuation Methods in this VPS StraightTalk webinar series
To illustrate the best practices of writing a compelling and complete business valuation report, this session will use a detailed sample report (provided to attendees in MS WORD format) with exhibits that are in conformity of with the standards of AICPA, ASA, IBA, and NACVA.
Best Practices – Report Writing includes sample language and examples to put in your reports:
- Front summary language including: terms, definitions, disclaimers, caveats, scope of work, list of documents relied upon, procedures performed, restrictions or limitations, distribution, and level of reliance
- Adherence to BV reporting standards (AICPA, ASA, IBA and NACVA)
Presentation and reconciliation of values and methods
Conclusions of value
Assumptions and limiting conditions and valuation representation/certification
Other topics covered:
- Sample language and examples to NOT put in your reports
- Citing references for definitions, concepts and applications
- Use and abuse in relying upon canned economic data
- Reliance on RMA and other types of benchmark data
- Quantitative and qualitative weightings of values
- Length of reports
The session will also include a section on the types of reports and whe they should be used:
- Valuation review of another analyst’s work product
- Rule 26
- No report
- Using sample report language and examples, the participant will learn what needs to go into a BV report that is in compliance with BV standards
- The participant will learn about full reports, summary reports, review reports, calculation reports, oral reports, and no reports
- The participant will learn about the use of protective and risk management language
- The participant will understand how to properly use addendums, appraisal representations/certifications, assumptions, and limited conditions
- The participant will learn about bad words, sentences, and paragraphs that are often inappropriately included in reports
Information on CPE credits, refund policies, and complaint resolution can be found at www.valuationproducts.com/cpe.html.
This downloadable archived webinar package is an interactive video of the webinar with the original webinar handouts.
The format of the archived webinar package is an Adobe Presenter PDF file that allows you to view the video of the webinar with the synced audio so that you see the presentation just as it was presented “live.” The Presenter format also allows for easy navigation through the webinar so you can quickly go to a specific section in the presentation. The handout materials are included in the file. To view the Webinar Presenter file, you must have the current version of Adobe Reader. You can download the free Adobe Reader at http://get.adobe.com/reader Please save the file to your hard drive or server. This is a very large file so please allow sufficient time for the download to complete.
You will also need to have the current version of Adobe Flash enabled on your computer. The file may not display in your browser window, (you may see a blank image) so be sure to download the file first and then open it on your computer using Adobe Reader.