Archive Webinar 2013-59:Valuation of Small Businesses – Solutions to Key Issues in Valuing Businesses Worth Less than $5 million
**Webinar 59 Live Broadcast Date: February 13, 2013**
Jim Hitchner, CPA/ABV/CFF, ASA moderator with panelists Rod Burkert, CPA/ABV, CVA and Gary Trugman, CPA/ABV, MCBA, ASA, MVS
Webinar: Valuation of Small Businesses Solutions to Key Issues in Valuing Businesses Worth Less than $5 million
Valuing small businesses (less than $5 million in value) is often more difficult than valuing larger businesses. You will learn the solutions to key issues
that are unique to small businesses including: practice and personal goodwill, key person, noncompete agreements, marketability, liquidity and
transferability, divorce, compensation, pass-through entities, information challenges, and valuation approaches and methodologies
Webinar Outline: Solutions to key issues in valuing small businesses
- The best way to use Pratt’s Stats
- The best way to use BIZCOMPS and the IBA database
- A quick way to consider the guideline public company method
- A straightforward excess earnings method
- Easy sanity check on the excess earnings method
- Easy sanity check on discount and cap rates
- Easy sanity check on long-term growth
- Discounted vs. capitalized cash flow
- Weighting historical earnings
- Simplifying the S Corp issue on taxes
- Efficiencies in calculating discounts
- Goodwill – personal vs. enterprise vs. salable vs. unsalable
- Goodwill – quantitative vs. qualitative methods
- Dealing with buying a job value
- What is the minimum required to support compensation adjustments?
- When is the net asset value method applicable?
- When is too little data and access too little for a valuation opinion?
- Do information challenges create disharmony with BV standards?
- Efficient report writing ideas
- The use of shortcuts
- The participant will learn the key issues and solutions in valuing small businesses (less than $5 million in value)
- The participant will learn how to deal with personal goodwill (salable and unsalable) vs. enterprise goodwill vs. key person vs. noncompete agreements
- The participant will learn about options when information is unavailable or withheld
- The participant will learn how to supportably apply valuation methods
- The participant will learn about dealing with normalization adjustments including non-market compensation issues
- The participant will learn about tax affecting pass-through entities
- The participant will learn about key divorce issues
- The participant will learn about discounts and premiums
The archived webinar package is an Adobe Presenter PDF file that allows you to view the video of the webinar with the synced audio so that you see the presentation just as it was presented “live.” The Presenter format also allows for easy navigation through the webinar so you can quickly go to a specific section in the presentation. The handout materials are included in the file. To view the Webinar Presenter file, you must have Adobe Reader software version 9 or higher. You can download the free current version of Adobe Reader at http://get.adobe.com/reader Please note that CPE is only available for live webinar broadcasts.