Archived Webinar Package 2013-58: New Year BV Update: The NEW Concepts, Data, Models and Methods From 2012 That You Need to Know and Understand
**Webinar 58 Broadcast Date: January 23. 2013**
Jim Hitchner, CPA/ABV/CFF, ASA moderator with panelists Jim Alerding, CPA/ABV, ASA, CVA and Jay Fishman, FASA
Webinar: New Year BV Update: The NEW Concepts, Data, Models and Methods From 2012 That You Need to Know and Understand
Are you way behind in your reading from 2012? Is your new year’s resolution to wade through that stack of publications on your desk? This webinar will help you keep that resolution and clear that clutter. We will only present what we believe to be some of the most important pieces of BV information from 2012. This will include only NEW concepts, data, models and methods in such areas as discounts for lack of marketability (DLOMs), S Corps, cost of capital, report writing, standards, and judges views on valuation and valuation experts.
- Discounts for lack of marketability (DLOMs)
- A new perspective on the use of the FMV Opinions restricted stock database
- Lance Hall’s newest response to the IRS criticisms of the FMV Opinions restricted stock database
- Research on how companies value their private shares prior to an IPO and the amounts of DLOMs applied
- How these DLOM amounts differ from those in traditional pre-IPO discount studies
- S Corps and other pass-through entities (PTEs)
- What is the current thinking in valuing PTEs?
- Are the older S Corp models still relevant?
- Nancy Fannon’s new research in the adjustment of the discount rate
- Eric Barr’s new perspective on value to the holder
- Cost of capital
- Dr. Aswath Damodaran’s views on the methods and data inputs in cost of capital
- The use of surveys, historical risk premiums and implied risk premiums
- What is the “right” equity risk premium?
- Reports and standards
- SSVS vs. ASA vs. USPAP vs. NACVA vs. IBA
- BV standards myth busters
- The “best” use of calculations and calculation reports
- Opinions of value and calculations
- How calculations can go too far
- Judges’ views on valuation and valuation experts
- Tax affecting S Corps
- Subsequent events
- Support for assumptions and conclusion
- VPS polling data – Who’s doing what?
- The participant will learn what three of the leaders in the valuation profession think are some of the most important things that happened in 2012
- The participant will learn a new perspective on the use of the FMV Opinions restricted stock database
- The participant will learn about Lance Hall’s recent defense of the FMV Opinions restricted stock database from IRS criticisms in their DLOM Job Aid
The participant will gain insight into how companies value their private shares prior to an IPO including the magnitude of DLOMs as compared to
traditional pre-IPO discount studies
- The participant will learn about Nancy Fannon’s new position on tax affecting and valuing S Corps
- The participant will learn about Eric Barr’s new position on tax affecting and valuing S Corps
- The participant will learn about Dr. Aswath Damodaran’s views on developing cost of capital
- The participant will gain new insight into the use of calculation engagements and calculation reports
- The participant will learn what some judges think about what works and what doesn’t in a valuation
Included in this downloadable archived webinar package:
- Audio/Video file
- Webinar transcript
- Original Webinar handouts
The archived webinar package is an Adobe Presenter PDF file that allows you to view the video of the webinar with the synced audio so that you see the presentation just as it was presented “live.” The Presenter format also allows for easy navigation through the webinar so you can quickly go to a specific section in the presentation. The handout materials are included in the file. To view the Webinar Presenter file, you must have Adobe Reader software version 9 or higher. You can download the free current version of Adobe Reader at http://get.adobe.com/reader Please note that CPE is only available for live webinar broadcasts.