Archive 2019-128: The Great Debate: Valuing Small Businesses – Business Broker vs. Business Appraiser Webinar
**Webinar 128: Live Broadcast Date: February 13, 2019**
VPS StraightTalk Webinar Series: The Great Debate: Valuing Small Businesses – Business Broker vs. Business Appraiser with
Jim Hitchner, CPA/ABV/CFF, ASA, James Alerding, CPA/ABV, ASA, and Gregory R. Caruso, JD, CPA, CVA
Don’t miss this compelling debate covering a host of issues you must know to successfully value and/or sell a small business, including how the TCJA has changed the way deals and valuations are done, mistakes professionals make that can reduce the value and/or price, and how to handle situations where information is unavailable or withheld.
Join us for this deep dive into small business valuation from seasoned experts in both the valuation and brokerage worlds. Valuation experts can learn a lot from their broker colleagues and vice-versa.
Participants will learn:
- The key issues and solutions in valuing, buying, and selling small businesses (less than $2 million in value, $3 million to $5 million in value, and $5 million to $10 million in value)
- How buyers typically view acquisitions, allowing for more useful and accurate valuation assumptions and resulting valuations
- Common mistakes deal professionals make during the planning and sales process that often unintentionally reduce the price
- The differences between price and value, and how to address the differences with clients from an on-the-ground practical vantage point
- The impact of the TCJA on deals and valuations
- The use of calculations: broker vs. appraiser
- How business brokers may differ from business appraisers in their application of valuation methods
- A technique that improves the reliability of the market approach
- Why the income approach can be a secondary method in deals
- Options when information is unavailable or withheld
- How to deal with normalization adjustments in the P&L and the balance sheet in deals and valuations
- About tax affecting pass-through entities in deals and valuations
- Whether there really is a buy-a-job value
- Key divorce issues, including how to deal with personal goodwill (salable and unsalable) vs. enterprise goodwill vs. key person vs. noncompete agreements
- About applying discounts and premiums
Information on CPE credits, refund policies, and complaint resolution can be found at www.valuationproducts.com/cpe.html.
This downloadable archived webinar package is an interactive video of the webinar with the original webinar handouts.
The format of the archived webinar package is an Adobe Presenter PDF file that allows you to view the video of the webinar with the synced audio so that you see the presentation just as it was presented “live.” The Presenter format also allows for easy navigation through the webinar so you can quickly go to a specific section in the presentation. The handout materials are included in the file. To view the Webinar Presenter file, you must have the current version of Adobe Reader. You can download the free Adobe Reader at http://get.adobe.com/reader Please save the file to your hard drive or server. This is a very large file so please allow sufficient time for the download to complete.
You will also need to have the current version of Adobe Flash enabled on your computer. The file may not display in your browser window, (you may see a blank image) so be sure to download the file first and then open it on your computer using Adobe Reader.